Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Old Sketchbook


About 7 months ago I started to draw again.

These are pages from my first sketchbook after a year and a half hiatus from drawing and painting. My lines were somewhat clumsy because of this absence, but I am as much attached to these drawings as I am with anything else I have ever done. Rilke once wrote, “A work of art is good if it has arisen out of necessity”. Although my ego does not carry me far enough to claim this is good art; its creation was without a doubt the essence of inevitability. This book is a Japanese style bound Moleskin that Yvonne and I share. Within it are stories and images about our lives intertwined.

// My sincere apologies to the "medicine man” for my inability to adhere to his advice. I enjoy my walks in the rain too much to surrender it for any extended period of time :) //

16 comments:

pixelpalette said...

This is beautiful! "Ego or not" this is not only "good" art, it is "great" art!
Wow! Thanks for sharing it. A walk in the rain can be very cleansing.

Anonymous said...

Your work is amazing! I really love the way you use text in your art - It blends seamlessly with the images. It's really beautiful.

luisa brehm said...

this is fantastic, Dex !!!
i love your sketchbooks
well and i missed you ;-)))))
Hugssssssss !!!

blackbird illustration said...

Perfect. I like your drawings a lot. Keep publishing:)

Kevin Cromwell said...

Awsome! Great sketches.

:)=

JO said...

I love your work, great sketchbook.

meow. said...

Aw, you didn't scan it all....

Unknown said...

WOW!! Inpsiring!

Pia said...

Oooh, you never fail to disappoint. That sleeping girl is especially divine . . .

But is there a chance we can see a bigger scan of this? I'd like to read the text.

Jaimie said...

beautiful! I too would like to see this larger. I can't make out enough of the luscious details.

Anonymous said...

beautiful

y_sabi said...

Nice. Keep posting. These drawings are a gift.

I hope you're doing well.

Jake said...

Really great... it can be funny how important sketchbooks can be; You can grow attached to them.

Jed Alexander said...

Some nice work--but oi, sharing a sketchbook? Sounds like sharing a tattoo. I could never do that. I'd feel as though I'd have to ask for permission to destroy the inevitable shitty drawings.

Todd Harris said...

I think your art is really good, I enjoyed going through your blog. Keep it up.

Mattias Adolfsson said...

Wonderful