Tuesday, August 22, 2006

I.F. Match

My 8-year-old sister comes home one day after school and walks up to me and says “Jo-jo came to school with his eyes all bloodshot”.

Surprised, thinking the most horrible things, I replied “Oh no, what happened to him?”

“Well yesterday, he was alone in his room and thought that he could turn Super Saiyan. So he tried really, really hard to a point where he popped blood vessels in his eyes”. She replied with a smile.

Prior to this moment, I was unaware that one could possibly DIE from laughing so hard. But the gods have smiled upon me so I can live to tell the tale. This illustration is for that special kid (my hero for the week) who thought he could turn Super Saiyan. “A+” for effort!!!

Technical stuff:
I’ve always loved making shapes. I create them on my spare time and with the intention to provoke a mood. This shape, the giant mass of floating something is my depiction of tension and anxiety. It’s not anything directly representative… although I am sure if one looks hard enough, shapes become recognizable.

The illustration is about a fight or a match. It is about a little boy with superhero-like imagination, tossing away the gloves to confront the unexpected and overpowering unknown (I call it growing up, or Jee-pee for short). It’s a fight to the finish. Winner takes all, with a touch of “you’re gonna have to drag me to an office desk, kicking, biting and screaming” attitude. Call it my Peter Pan syndrome.

Oh yeah, and the fish. The fish is the sidekick. Because really…who wants to be a super hero without a sidekick? // note: I decided to take out the fish. Although I loved him so, he just wasn't working with the composition. Owell, I'm sure hell come up again somewhere. //

19 comments:

Kevin Cromwell said...

What a great illustration, wish you could've incorporated the blood-shot eyes. That is a classic. Must relate the story to others.

:)=

luisa brehm said...

it's just wonderful, Dex !!!
more words for what ???
me

Seo Kim said...

HAHA great story!! and the image is just wonderful!

an9ie said...

Good thing I read the story, because it all comes clear now. At first I thought the shape was what he was trying to project from his eyes and I was going "Heeey, that's not half bad!" Great fish, but it looks like the sidekick is trying to run away, Dex!

kathryn said...

hi there, i could really get lost in this image, its beautiful. and i do love a drawing with a bit of a dark side. who's the chap in your avatar ? is it a sugarglider ?

gTuz said...

Having watched a good amount of Dragon ball Z on the box, it paints a pretty clear picture of what that kid would've been doing! He's lucky he didn't fill his pants at the same time. As for the illo, dude I'm blown away. As I am with all your work on here.nice layouts, nice colour, nice lines. Great stuff.

MisterZoobadoo said...

Love it Dex! Keep going. I think I'm going to try and turn into Super Saiyan tonight ..... gunhhhhhhh .... pop!

ouch

Susan Mitchell said...

The story is hilarious, I will have to tell that one to my son. And your illustration is beautiful :)

Tracey Hedrick Graham said...

So beautiful. I could stare at this for hours! I love your work. Thanks for sharing such a great story!

Sally said...

That story is a cracker - so hilarious! I love the whole super hero theme and the shape representing anxiety is totally unique. And I hope you bring back the fish at some point. They are always so much fun to draw :)

meow. said...

dex. everything is so beautiful! come to livejournalllll! :-(

Anonymous said...

I really love this cause and effect type theme you have going here. It's really very effective and captivating. Keep up the awesomeness!

Chloe Cumming said...

I really dig your stuff.

Amy Zaleski said...

Your work is amazing and quite unique. I particularly like your sketchbook pages ~ very raw and full of energy. I might have to get a book with brown craft paper pages. Never tried that before, but it has a way cool look. Thanks for your comment on my blog, too!

Twisselman said...

Glad you posted the Wikipedia link for Super Saiyan. I was clueless. But your art piece here is great. Yep, that little guy's got his gloves off and is ready for some action, alright. So many shapes within shapes here.

theo said...

love your sketches. They're gorgeous. I was wondering if I could put a link to your blog?

Jon Han said...

beautiful i really like the boxing gloves.

Anonymous said...

Ha! Awesome. Is that a chicken ribcage in there?

Andrea said...

I'm really enjoying your work! Linking you as well! Cheers!