Thursday, August 17, 2006

This is my entry for this week’s Illustration Friday

When I was small child living in Manila Philippines, my grandparents whom lived a very meager life worked the good part of the day. During this time, I was left alone to fend for myself, exploring freely my house and town. My grandmother to this day tells stories about how she would come home and find me sleeping in the most awkward, small and cramped spaces. My favorite place she said, were cabinet drawers.

I do recall slivers of those memories. I didn’t have any siblings, toys or many friends, so for fun...I locked myself in small, dark confined areas and imagined magical and fantastic things. I would play out stories in my head, wording out with conviction every moment. I did this...until I fell asleep. This is what I considered “play”.

23 comments:

Unknown said...

WOW!! AWESOME style!! Brilliant!

Kevin Cromwell said...

Children know that those places in the house are theirs alone. A kingdom in a cupboard. This is fantastic.

:)=

Jake said...

Really amazing work.

an9ie said...

I like this very much, the different inks make it very dreamlike and remind me of old-fashioned Chinese comics. I especially like being able to look around the picture and trying to guess the different characters :)

Bill Robinson said...

Beaaauutiful work! Love how dreamy it is.

Anonymous said...

Great work, reminds of James Jean in style. Lovely.

luisa brehm said...

Awe !!! it's just fantastic !!!
i was waiting to see .....

ELLA ELVIANA said...

wow. most definitely an awesome work!

Anne said...

Outstanding work, and a wonderful story too.

Pia said...

This boggles my mind. So much going on, yet it all fits around that small boy.

A total dream. I'm clicking and saving . . .

Anonymous said...

Very nice illo, although I feel sorry for you, that it was like that when you were young.

mjc said...

your work is very interesting and I realy love your style...
Great!

Anonymous said...

Yo Dex, these drawings of yours are really awesome! Keep at it...you definitely got something here.

luisa brehm said...

Dex, have you a match ???
i need light ;-))))
want to tell i linked you .....
Hugs !!!

Ester Wilson said...

Wow, that's an awesome image, and a really beautiful memory. It's no wonder you're so artistically talented.

dex mission said...

thank you everyone for the kind words :)

an9ie said...

Hey dex,
Just wondering, your style is so unique, would you mind posting a mini-tutorial of how you work one day?
Can't wait to see your next IF piece!
an9ie

Jon Han said...

Awesome, you really let loose on this one... i like it alot.

Sally said...

Wow! What a unique memory. Your style is so awesome - keep the illustrations coming!

Unknown said...

wow again - some powerfull stuff here! Your work has a classic touch, and very real. I look forward to more!

-dave

Dominic Bugatto said...

Great textures , and interesting elements.

Well done!

Felicity Grace said...

Thanks for your comments on my blog! Your artwork is just amazing! I see elements of one of my favourite illustrators Edmund Dulac in some. Wonderful stuff!

Felicity Grace said...

Yes, I love Arthur Rackman too :)! Thanks so much for mentioning Tony Ryder. I hadn't heard of him but found his site and his drawings are amazing! Thank you!