Saturday, July 01, 2006

Painting with Photoshop

I recently have taken up Photoshop painting. I have been using the program for quite a bit of time now (design and photography), but have never dwelled into using it as a painting tool. I remember trying out Painter 5 a long time ago, but found it frustrating (although many people suggest it is much better now; I have yet to get a copy for myself).

I still revert back to some comforts when trying to paint in Photoshop. I do import textures in because it gives me such a wide array of options, especially with the layer effects.

This was created with the Wacom 4” x 5” Graphire. It’s a small little thing that can get exasperating sometimes, but for the budget minded, its still very good. I hope, sometime soon to get a 9” x 12” Intuos 3.

Oh, and yeah… on a personal note; I have the flu. Plus I just had oral surgery. It sucks terribly (*no pun intended). And I’ve been working quite a bit and trying to manage time in between to create and research, and still have some sort of life. I would really love to break into comics in the next year, so I’m working diligently on creating a decent body of work to shop around.

Though I must admit that so far, I have been doing a decent job juggling everything. But I know deep down I really do need to time to relax. A whole day doing nothing would be wonderful (*nothing meaning no work or obligations). I will be heading out to St. Augustine this weekend, maybe I’ll find what I’m looking for there…

4 comments:

tinman10101 said...

hello

thanks for the advice on taking images of my work. i own a canon eos20d and just have the lens it came with but i will take your advice and let you know how it turns out. i usually do manipulate the images in photoshop but have not tried the perspective feature you mentioned in cs yet, only the skew transform feature.

regardless, i do want to commend you on your sketches. they seem very spontaneous and i admire your linework. especially the combination of pen and ink lends itself beautifully with the natural color of the paper. even your mix media pieces are quite admirable. thanks again for your comment and advice.

ivis said...

Hey Dex, wassup????

So glad i finally found you online... been meaning to get in touch w/ you. Nice stuff you got here :)

holla back when u get a chance
ivis

Pia said...

This is the new background on my laptop.

I wish I could afford Photoshop. But all I can afford is a pirated copy of Ulead PhotoImpact, straight from the Philippines.

Upload more art! Especially from your sketchbook--those are delicious.

Jon Han said...

thanks for the comment.. awesome work, really love the sketch book drawings.